This week Classes started with a bang. I have been really nervous and apprehensive about going back to classes, mostly because I am scared to death of public speaking. I hate being the center of attention.
To get over my nervousness I scripted my first day of class, and what I would say from the moment the bell would ring until the end of class. Yes folks, this is what you call over preparing for class. I had a four page script to read.
I was so nervous in fact that I completely forgot that I love teaching. My 8:00 am class was scared to death of me, and wouldn’t say a word, even when I asked them questions. By lunchtime I had finally gotten the first-day jitters out and had reduced my notes to an index card. My last two classes were amazing, and I was so impressed with my students, their behavior and we had a lot of fun.
I’ve been reading a book called “The First Day’s of School”, and it talks about how the teacher sets the mood for the class. I think this must definitely be true, because when I was nervous and fidgety my students were as well, but when I relaxed and smiled and laughed they did too.
For homework I asked my students to start a Journal. The first assignment is to make (10) Goals for yourself this semester. So I am going to keep my journal this semester as well.
10 Goals for this School Year:
- Apply to Graduate School (I would love to be able to teach in America when I come home to stay).
- Begin working out (I have joined a gym on campus with the help of a Chinese friend).
- Eat more healthy Chinese foods (like fruits, vegetables, and rice).
- Get enough sleep
- Read the Good Book everyday
- Pray to the Father everyday
- Put my heart in to my teaching so that my students, colleagues and friends can see the joy and peace that I have, and really come to know what a child of Our Father looks like, even though I can not ever mention his name in the classroom.
- Be humble and peaceable with all people.
- Work hard at whatever my hand finds to do.
- Be responsible with my finances.